Thursday, December 2, 2010

End of NaNo; Start of Reverb 2010

First, I'll do a quick update on my NaNoWriMo standings.
I started my next novel, but haven't got past the first few paragraphs. I'm eagerly awaiting the free time that will allow me to work on my novel. It's December already, but I'm unwilling to start editing yet... I've done some reading, trying to prepare my mind for the next novel. I would like to get somewhere between Douglas Adams and Tom Holt, and have spent a lot of time reading both. I'll post the exact books in a later blog post. So far, I'm still thinking of NaNoWriMo, and the people I've met so far. One of the local leaders (Municipal Liaison), suggested Reverb 2010. I'm going to try and do a blog post each day, based on the prompts given by Reverb 2010

I have also been reminded of my next short story idea... A horror story based on "Frosty the Snowman". Frosty clearly states that he will "Be back again someday..." The twist is that he returns as a killer, not a playful man of snow. I've studied the lyrics, and have thought of this particular story for a few years. It's on the morbid side, sure... But I think that every story should have another side to it. From the Wicked (book/musical), to "Little Red Riding Hood" meeting a Warewolf. The last part of Frosty has always had a sinister undertone to me, when he says that he will "Be back again... Someday!" If a magic hat can give him life, what could it do to him over a period of ten years? Or the next generation? What if the group that laughed and played with him had children? If Frosty was really alive, human emotions (might) turn him into a psychopath... It's a leap (of faith??) that makes a kind, playful snowman into a killer, but somewhere between the book "I Know What You Did Last Summer", and the "Black Christmas" movie, I should be able to fit a serial killer snowman wearing a magical silk hat.

No comments:

Post a Comment