Tuesday, November 2, 2010

NaNo day 1 "Caging my inner editor"

As the first day of National Novel Writing Month approached, I felt more than a little apprehension. The last time I made an attempt at this novel, I rewrote the first few chapters over and over again, until I gave up entirely.


To help me get some control over that little beast, I met up with a few other local NaNo participants to create a clay model of my inner editor. Other people smashed theirs, but I chose to cage him for the month, I'm sure he will be of use to me later.

(Yes, it is a rather pathetic looking figure, but my artistic ability comes from crafting words, not clay)

24 hours into my first NaNo, and it seems to have worked. My inner editor struggled, but I have been able to limit him to spelling, and removing the occasional word. As for my current word-count, I've passed 7,000 words already. I don't know if I'll be able to keep that pace, but I'm going to try. I am confident though, that I will complete my novel by the end of the month. I'm starting to wonder what I can work on, if I finish it with time to spare.
I'll keep you posted on my progress. I'm also thinking about starting a blog, from the perspective of my main character. The novel timeline won't match the actual blog posts, but it might be fun to write.

No comments:

Post a Comment