Friday, November 19, 2010

NaNo Day 19

It's hard to believe that NaNo is two thirds over. I have come a long way over the past 19 days. I should say the first fourteen days, as I have not written anything since the 14th. (You can find out why here)

My Thoughts So Far
The Good:
  • Well, I've finished my novel, earlier than I expected. I completed the finishing touches, and final chapter on Nov. 14. The halfway mark, and I was up to 70,000 words with a finished novel.
  • I feel a partial sense of satisfaction, at having completed the novel. It feels great to not only have reached the suggested goal, but to complete the entire story.
  • I've met some great people on the NaNoWriMo forums, many of them local. I
  • There's also a deep personal joy, at having suppressed my inner editor for so long. Now that I know it's possible, I should be able to continue the trend, in my other projects.
The Bad
  • Writing more than 5,000 original words a day wasn't too hard for me. It has been a strain though, and a few days my hands and wrists were feeling it.
  • I feel at a loss, being so far away from my personal goals. I would love to start another novel, or finally get some of my short story ideas out of the way. I may still do that, but it's been a horrible week and I'm still trying to get over it.
  • Knowing that it's going to take just as long to do the first edit and rewrite is a bit overwhelming. I'm 70% happy with this draft, which is great compared to what I see other people saying. Compared to what I usually write though, it's a lot lower.
Overall, it's been a great experience. I've accomplished what I set out to do, I finished a novel. There's more than a week left to go and I would love to try and do more. I'm already looking forward to next year!

No comments:

Post a Comment