Thursday, September 9, 2010

Reading lately

Yes, it's been awhile. Once again I have taken a break from posting on my blog. I don't have a personal response to my last post, but I hope that didn't discourage you from trying it yourself.

I've been doing more reading than anything else lately. Sadly, that includes updating my blog. On the positive side, I've got a lot of new ideas that I can work on now.
I don't want to do a full review on all the books I've gone through. To be honest, many of them aren't outstanding, or noteworthy. They just happened to be the first unread book I saw on my bookshelf. I did enjoy them all, for different reasons, and I'll let you know what they were, and leave it up to you to decide if you want to give any of them a try.
(I'll give you some Amazon links to the books, and yes, I do get money if you make a purchase)

First, I finally finished re-reading the Sherlock Holmes collection. I always enjoy the stories, and although it got a bit tedious after awhile, I prefer reading them all at once. The stories are classics, and they are available as public domain, if you don't mind reading them as an ebook, or on your computer. A good place for free PD classics is Project Gutenberg. If you prefer the actual book, there's quite the collection of them on Amazon, such as these hardcover copies by Barnes and Nobles: Vol. 1, and Vol. 2.

Next I wanted a light, easy read and decided to turn to an author I had not read yet. Joy Fielding. They are closer to romance than mystery or suspense. I read 3 of her books, "See Jane Run", "The Deep End", and "Don't Cry Now". I wasn't overly impressed with them, but they filled my need for a "Nice light snack". They did give me some insight into writing thoughts, and emotions. They were a refreshing change of pace after the work of Sir Arthur Conan Doyle. Joy Fielding has quite a few books published, if you're interested in trying them out, I would suggest a visit to the library before you commit yourself to purchasing any. If you do decide to pick a few up for yourself, you can take a look here: Joy Fielding on Amazon

The next book on my shelf was even further from solid mystery/suspense, and closer to a romantic book with a plot. It was "Night Whispers" by Judith McNaught. Another 3 hour read, and it didn't leave any lasting impression.

After 2 days of easy reading, I decided to re-read some of my favorite Fantasy books, "The Coldfire Trilogy", by C. S. Friedman. More information about those books next time.

And that's it for today. I might not have been as helpful, or interesting as usual today. I'm trying to get into a comfortable grove with the blog, so please bear with me, and let me know what you think. Do you want real book reviews, examples of my writing, random tips?

No comments:

Post a Comment